Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The lie that it "all comes naturally"

Not everything having to do with our children is self explanatory. Suffice to say that the maternal instinct is usually present in most women, although there are some exceptions. Of course even with the natural aptitude most of us females possess, there are simply subjects on which we all could use some brushing up (dare I say instruction even?). Of course I include myself readily in that number who are lacking.

While it is true that "mom knows best" ... is it also safe to say that it is only true if mom takes the time to become informed? Let's just say that perhaps some moms would like to be right for the sake of being right, and not necessarily for the sake of being well informed decision makers. In essence they would like to make their own truth. And isn't that what the present day attitude is any way? Make your own truth, truth is relative, no one can say that anyone else is wrong...unless of course that person happens to believe in absolute truth, then they are wrong. Seems to me to be a pretty self defeating argument.

If we as moms decide that having our baseless opinions respected by the masses as relative truth is more important than basing important decisions for our children on fact based truths that are proven... are we doing our children a disservice? Food for thought as I jump right in here.

As a first time mom, I like to believe that I did my best to do right by my child... make him as nurtured, safe and sound as possible. I believed this until the day some random stranger challenged me to account for my holdings on vaccinations as a rule. Yes, I went by the book...until I did some digging. Turns out there is more to this mom thing than following the rules laid out for us in main stream society. Turns out we (as moms) have *gasp* CHOICES.

Ask me what the best advice I have ever gotten or could ever give would be. Go on, ask! Ill tell you: "Be informed" !! Don't write any thing off until you have discovered the truth of it for yourself. Be a modern day sleuth of sorts. Find the truth and check your sources. The enemy comes to kill steal and destroy. Two of the many ways he does that are by 1. Using our pride to hide the truth from us and by 2. Using our preconceived opinions to block our ability to search out the truth despite ourselves.

Now, let just remind ourselves that no one is perfect. No one can claim to have all the answers and when we do have the answers, we usually sound arrogant when we attempt to SHARE those answers with others. Here is where I always struggle to remind myself to be aware of myself and become humble. I strive to remember that I am one of many people with many different opinions. IF mine happens to be right, it should speak for itself and I can not charge myself with the responsibility for making others decisions for them. I do however feel the need to SHARE information that I am fortunate enough to receive but alas, I must remember that not everyone will believe even absolute truth when it is spoken. So, if we share information, that is our due diligence in respect to others. Whether they take it and find it out themselves is their own.








No comments:

Post a Comment